Friday, October 16, 2009

Flash Forward...didn't I just go through this with Lost?


Is it weird that I can't follow Flash Forward? Maybe it's just that I don't want to bother anymore.

I jumped on the Lost bandwagon like everyone else. I had long, drawn out discussions about Battlestar Galactica. Hell, I just spent last night's dog walk discussing the concept of divinity vs. a being like "Q" from Star Trek: The Next Generation. (Someone's going to shove me in a locker.) I have no problem investing my time and energy in something really engaging.


But after years of trying to figure out why there was a damn polar bear wandering around the island, who's related to/sleeping with/wants to kill who, and why there was a pretty blond robot in the hot guy's head, I'm tired. After working all day, I want to sit down, have a glass of wine, play with the dog and the rabbit and zone out. If I really feel the need to concentrate on something, I'll whip out the laptop and kill demons in Outland. (Yes, I'm talking about World of Warcraft.) I don't want to spend my night checking Wikipedia to make sure I don't miss some miniscule fact that the entire show is going to pivot on 6 weeks from now.


My TV watching buddies.


Complex shows are fun to watch, if they're engaging. Mysteries are great if they're new. But Flash Forward is using exactly the same tactics as Lost, tiny facts that we'd better write down on whatever old receipt we have handy, because if we miss it now, we're going to have to call our TV-obsessed buddy down the street to explain why the little yellow piece of paper on the wall of Agent Mark Beford's flash forward predicted the end of the world or something.

Look, I'm not asking for a sitcom with a laugh track. I loved the maened mystery on True Blood, and trying to figure out if Team Eric is going to get their wish. I'm one of the few people (if ratings are to be believed) who is really interested in how Sierra got involved with the Dollhouse. I'm just saying, give it a rest. Wait a few seasons before you make me watch another show that requires note taking and homework. And for Q's sake ABC, there are more than 10 actors in the world. Stop recycling cast members. It's not helping me keep this all straight.

Check out this diagram from SCI FI Wire, explaining how Flash Forward and Lost are, well, pretty much the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment