Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Women of Geekdom rocked my world

This weekend, I got to do something fantastic. I was asked to do a calendar shoot for the Women of Geekdom. Now, I find myself all over geekdom, but I had never met these ladies before. I was thrilled to be a part of something like this, but I had no idea of the awesomeness that was in store.

One of the candid pinup shots with Han Solo's blaster. Thanks Misti!
I flew down to Charleston, South Carolina, accompanied by the LA crew. Chloe Dykstra, who works for Wizard World, Bitmob, and Nerdist found me right away, along with Misty Dawn, co-host of the "Bagged and Boarded" podcast on the SMODCAST newtwork as well as Machinima Director, vlogger Brooke Lawson, aka Dodger, and Satine Phoenix, Dungeons & Dragons goddess.

From the first, we hit it off. How could we not? These chicks rock! Fellow ladies of geek, I know you know what I'm saying when I tell you that many of us have mostly guy friends. (We discussed this on the wrap up podcast.) Maybe it's because when we were young, it was mostly guys who were vocal about loving the same things we did. Maybe we got flack from other ladies. Maybe it's our attitudes. But for the most part, this seems to be the case across the board.

My fresh ink. All 16 of us got one!

Meeting these ladies was like a tall glass of sweet tea while walking through the Red Wastes of Essos. When we got in, there were geeky ladies everywhere! (And some geeky men to go with them.) Immediately we were chatting like crazy! Creators Shaun Rosado and his lovely wife (and mother of this idea) Laura Rosado made everything easy. They rented a house for us, gave us transportation, helped with costumes, had people get us drinks and generally acted like real-life superheroes. In minutes, Dodger, Satine and I were out doing dance stretches on the back lawn together.

There were a lot of photos like this. Geek pile!
The discussions were as geeky as you please. We talked video games, comic books, our giant collection of tattoos. Nerdy references were flying! When we found out Chloe was dressing as the 11th Doctor, the line "Bow ties are cool" was uttered every few minutes. And everyone got it!

Me and Chloe bonding over ... was it Zelda, Doctor Who or sex? Can't remember.
The bonding and deep discussions about sex, gaming, men, drawing, TV shows, films, 8-bit nostalgia and what we all want to do with our lives went into the wee hours. Fueled by wine and other assorted beverages, of course. Joining us were Dash, who was in a spandex costume she made herself when I met her, the wonderful artist Nicole, Stormy, who lives up to her name in the very best way, Christina, who I spent a lovely car ride geeking out of my mind with, Star Wars goddess Princess Sandy, who's experience getting into her mermaid costume needs a blog post of its own and the lovely Laura. (Satine and I now think we must be related!)

Me, Laura and Satine playing the Game of Geek!
I wasn't there for everyone's shoots, but mine was a blast. Dodger and I got to the location, which was spectacular and headed into the makeup trailer. Her costume was Kerrigan-based (For the Swarm!) and mine was a Valkyrie. (For the record, Valkyries wear very short skirts. I did not sit down!) After braiding my hair and painting my face, they let me out and gave me weaponry! As you all know, I love pointy and sharp things. This spear was gorgeous! In fact, I went right home and bought one! (After hanging with my good buddy Corday for a bit.)

Me and Corday, the coolest of the cool.

Despite a few delays, we got it all done and spent the night gabbing until near dawn again. I cannot tell you how refreshing it was! It was a giant slumber party with all your best friends, who you've strangely just met. The next morning we shot a Christmas day photo for December and a group poster. (Pre-shoot, Misti obliged me by taking more photos of me with weapons. But hey! They were Star Wars guns!) By the time we did that, candid shots were easy as pie, since we'd been goofing off for days.

I love when they give me weaponry!

But here is the kicker. We were all so moved and elated by the experience that we decided to get group tattoos! Spearheaded by Chloe and Satine, the idea was to get a USB symbol on our finger or wrist in white, deep enough that it would raise. Connection was the theme and all 16 of us, the ladies, the guys, everyone got that tattoo! For some of them, it was their very first one! In fact, we drove all the way to Resurrection Ink in Savanah, Georgia to get them done!

The Last Supper, post penis rice sculpture.

After an incredible dinner where the chef made a giant rice penis (not kidding), we headed over and got our ink. The guys there were a little blown away by all of us, but by the end it was a laugh fest. Also, finger tattoos HURT! Just saying.

Me getting inked!
 It was with a heavy heart that I left everyone, but I'm thrilled to say I consider each and every one of these ladies and gents a dear friend.

All the Women of Geekdom giving you the finger ... to show your our new tattoos, of course!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a hoot, and LOVED the tat! Can't wait to see the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girlie!!!!!!! This is Princess Sandy, mentioned above. :) I cannot begin to express how awesome and moving this experience was. I felt like I was instantly welcomed into a brand new family that I had always known, crazy and so amazing all at the same time! I was the last lady to arrive, so I had a late start, as everyone else had already bonded over wine and delicious conversations, but, after being there for 2 seconds, I was welcome like a family member that had just come home from a long trip. God never blessed me with sisters of my own, but after this weekend, i can truly say that I am a very proud sister and a Woman of Geekdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sisters indeed!!! What an incredible experience! You ladies are amazing and I'm so thrilled to know you, lady!!! USB4EVA!

      Delete
  3. Jenna, what an awesome post! A perfect summary of the weekend!

    It was so great getting to meet you and the other Women of Geekdom last weekend! Can't wait to see the calendar when it comes out!! =D

    Sherie and Cheryl (the twins)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for the exciting blog posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you are a brilliant writer. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job, Keep it up.. :)internet

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched Dodger's video about Women of Geekdom and getting the tattoo a long long time ago. I just now found your blog, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete

  7. How To Stop A Divorce And Save Your Marriage?(Dr.Brave).


    Hello to every one out here, am here to share the unexpected miracle that happened to me three days ago, My name is Jeffrey Dowling,i live in TEXAS,USA.and I`m happily married to a lovely and caring wife,with two kids A very big problem occurred in my family seven months ago,between me and my wife so terrible that she took the case to court for a divorce she said that she never wanted to stay with me again,and that she did not love me anymore So she packed out of my house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get her back,after much begging,but all to no avail and she confirmed it that she has made her decision,and she never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my wife So i explained every thing to her,so she told me that the only way i can get my wife back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for her too So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow her advice. Then she gave me the email address of the spell caster whom she visited.(bravespellcaster@gmail.com}, So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address she gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my wife back the next day what an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me,and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my wife who did not call me for the past seven {7}months,gave me a call to inform me that she was coming back So Amazing!! So that was how she came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and she apologized for her mistake,and for the pain she caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster . So, i will advice you out there to kindly email this wonderful man {bravespellcaster@gmail.com},i f you are in any condition like this,or you have any problem related to "bringing your ex back. So thanks to Dr Brave for bringing back my wife,and brought great joy to my family once again.{bravespellcaster@gmail.com}, Thanks..

    ReplyDelete