Monday, December 14, 2009

Felicia Day and Friends, Claudia Black on FARSCAPE Webisodes, Eric Bana on Stand Up and AVATAR vs. MOON

Well, I've created a shit storm. I didn't love AVATAR and I've really made people angry. And you know what? Fuck 'em. I was totally honest. I wouldn't take back a word of what I said, especially since I said a lot of positive things about it. And by the way, I get why people are giving me shit about my math. I gave it a visual 10/10 and a 4/10 for story, but I still gave it a 6/10. I know what the average of those two numbers are, but to me, story has more weight than visuals. Look at MOON (JoBlo Review HERE). Super low budget and still a brilliant story. Made my top ten of the year.



But AVATAR...I'll say it one last time. Visually incredible. A MUST-SEE! But I wasn't going to pretend to love the story. Read a few of the positive reviews. Even they seem to apologize for the writing. Anyway, I doubt one negative review is going to make a James Cameron film tank, especially when that review tells you to see it anyway. Just saying. HERE is the JoBlo review if you'd like to add your two cents.

I kind of love this picture.

Believe it or not, other things happened today. My VGA red carpet interview with Felicia Day, Sandeep Parikh and Amy Okuda from THE GUILD went up today on Newsarama. Check it out HERE. I got Felicia and Sandeep together. They talked about THE GUILD season 4, LEGEND OF NEIL and a little DR. HORRIBLE. Amy Okuda wandered by afterward and seemed surprised that I recognized her. She was there as a guest of Mark Hamill's daughter! She gave us a look at what she wants to see happen to Tinkerballa.

The ladies of THE GUILD, Robin Thorsen, Amy Okuda and Felicia Day.

And I'm pleased to announce my first article on one of my favorite sites, Collider.com. I got to interview the super cool Claudia Black of STARGATE and FARSCAPE fame. FARSCAPE is one of my favorite shows of all time, and the Aeryn Sun/John Crichton love story...nothing better. She gives a bit of info on the FARSCAPE webisodes. See what she has to say HERE.

Ben Browder and Claudia Black as John Crichton and Aeryn Sun.

Finally, I got to chat with Eric Bana this morning about his very personal documentary, LOVE THE BEAST. I'll post that as soon as it goes live on JoBlo, but he was great to talk to. I asked if he would ever do any stand up in the US, but sadly, he said no. That man is seriously funny. From THE HULK to FUNNY PEOPLE. He saved the third act of that film.

What? Did you think I was going to use a more current picture when this was on the web?

By the way, I sent in my nominations for the Critic's Choice Awards this weekend. The official noms came in today. Check them out on the BFCA website (Broadcast Film Critic's Association) HERE. Happily, most of my choices made the list. Sad that MOON didn't receive more. What do you guys think of the choices. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Completely agree. Moon trumps all. I am so incredibly depressed that so far the "Road to the Oscars" shows have been ignoring it despite being one of the better written, directed, and performed pieces out their.

    I'm still waiting to see the tail end of the year movies, but Moon is tentatively my #1 of the year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of the reason it's being ignored is that they didn't send out screeners for awards season. Director Duncan Jones told me that it was extremely frustrating. Many of us can't see EVERY movie out there and often only see the ones that we are covering. I covered MOON, but many of my fellow reporters didn't. Screeners are how we catch up.

    Let the studio know how much you love it. Critic's Choice Awards nominations are done, but some of the others aren't. Ask them to promote the movie. Tell your friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of The Guild. I had never heard of it before but just watched all 3 seasons, fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete