Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's about time...

OK. I give up. I'm doing what you asked. I'm pretty much a freelance whore and I write for a thousand different websites anyway. I might as well have my own blog, right? And just imagine...I can let the world know what's going on in the land of geek in more than 140 characters!



For those of you who don't know how very geeky I am, here's the background. As one of the only girls in my neighborhood, I spent a lot of time with boys. (This hasn't changed, actually.) Sure, I had Barbies. If I deny it, someone will no doubt produce a picture of me holding one. But my true love was Star Wars. I wanted to be Princess Leia. I wanted to kick some ass! My dad brought home an Atari 2600 and I spent countless hours becoming the Frogger champion of my household. When Transformers (the toys, not the crappy film) came out, I begged my Mom to get me Soundwave. And yes, I played Dungeons & Dragons. I own scores of 20-sided dice. I even have one you can write your own numbers on. I read dragon books, I play World of Warcraft...get the picture?



I started out as an actor, and spent years as a makeup artist. I spent large portions of my day talking to my cast mates/co-workers about Cylons and why Firefly should have lasted forever. I got a lot of "uh, you don't look the type," and "you sound like a 15-year-old boy." Then one day I was given the opportunity to write for UGO. I got to review movies (mostly in the geeky realm), interview celebrities (Jon Favreau was an early fav), write about video games and comic books...all my geekiness was finally legit! And I even got paid a teensy tiny bit for it.

So here's the deal with the blog. I'll be recording my geeky musings, talking about what it's like to do this very bizarre, low-paying, but dream-fulfilling job, and linking to my writing and video pieces. And I'm warning you now, I have a very dirty sense of humor. If you don't believe me, check out my guest spot on the JoBlo Movie Podcast: http://www.joblo.com/joblo-podcast-38

Geek on!

4 comments:

  1. Great to see you are starting your own blog. I love your writing and I don't know how you don't get nervous with all the people you interview. I still can't work out the nerves!
    trina ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm sure thousands of geeky guys, like myself, will read this and think...Oh my god, Jenna, will you marry me!? I won't embarrass myself. Congrats on the new cyberhome. I will check in regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing what you want to do, have you really got time to do anything else...?

    ReplyDelete